Tara Jones, Trainee Solicitor at Frettens, provides her top tips for students looking to apply for legal placements and describes her own experience as a placement student.
Paul is known for his in-depth knowledge and expertise in the area of Employment law, and heads up the firm's team. He is often asked to be guest speaker at HR events for other private companies, including reputable recruitment agencies. Paul has been recognised in the 2021 and 2022 Legal 500 a leading independent legal directory.
Paul is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and qualified as an Employment Solicitor in 2007.
He specialises in both contentious and non-contentious matters, including unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, disability discrimination, TUPE, contracts and policies.
He represents both companies and employees and his time is split between tribunal work, settlement agreements, HR advice to employers and advising individuals with employment disputes. The complexity of matters varies from straightforward wages claims, through to unfair dismissal, discrimination and TUPE cases.
He regularly provides training to clients in relation to their human resources, for example performance management and tackling sickness absence. More recently Paul has provided a lot of training on the coronavirus job retention scheme, working from home and other subjects relating to the pandemic.
- Representing clients in employment tribunals.
- Advising clients to employment aspects arising from on-going disputes with former employees.
- Day-to-day HR advice and guidance with tribunals as and when required for a large care provider.
- Drafting and advising on settlement agreements for both employers and employees.
- Drafting policies and procedures for employers.
- Advising employers on difficult areas of employment law, such as employment status, TUPE and whistleblowing.
- Specialising in advice to the hospitality, retail and care sectors.
Paul is sports mad. Tennis, skiing, cricket, golf… you name it, he plays it! Needless to say, Paul is pretty competitive, but also manages to be very laid back. He is happiest socialising with his friends from various clubs, particularly if that socialising involves a pint of beer, a glass of Rioja or a plate of curry!
A keen traveller, he has a particular fondness for the big cities of Europe, but his dream holiday is to visit South Africa. Another passion of Paul’s is military history, he likes reading a lot about the subject and combine it with his travel passion to visit battlefield sites.
I’ve very much valued your expertise and insight. A great recommendation for Frettens for when we need more legal advice.