Frettens Banner Image

Advice for business

Landlord & Tenant

All residential and commercial landlords need legal advice at some stage. You need expert solicitors, who specialise in representing landlords and know all the precise rules and timings within which you must operate.


Our team have vast experience in all aspects of legal advice and proceedings between a landlord and a tenant, offering clear, practical and honest advice. We can help with everything from drafting a tenancy agreement to assisting with recovering rent arrears or evicting a tenant. We also advise and assist letting agents with any situations that arise.

In addition, we assist tenants who are facing issues with their landlord or rental property, such as advice on housing disrepair or unlawful evictions.

We can help you with:

  • tenancy agreements
  • rent deposits
  • rent arrears
  • evicting a tenant
  • Section 21 and Section 8 Notices

Contact us if you would like a free initial appointment to discuss a tenancy issue.

Landlord & Tenant advice in Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch, Ringwood and the New Forest

We have offices in Christchurch and Ringwood. Our Landlord & Tenant Team also covers Bournemouth, Poole and the New Forest, with the majority of our clients located in the Bournemouth and Poole area, though we have clients from across the country.

Ask us at Frettens

Here's some frequently asked questions on landlord & tenant issues, if you need to ask us anything more please get in touch using the form on the right.

    What can a landlord do to collect unpaid rent during COVID?

    Landlords can enforce their right to receive rent, by either commencing possession proceedings in Court or commencing a money claim in Court if you are not looking for a possession Order.

    Landlords are also being encouraged to mediate with their tenants who are in rent arrears and attempt to agree a rent deferral or payment plan to enable the tenants to stay in place, whilst gradually repaying any arrears that may have accrued.

    If you are a landlord looking for further advice during COVID, please refer to our full article here.

    Can I evict my tenant during COVID?

    Please refer to the Media Centre for the latest updates on eviction during the pandemic. Alternatively, you can get in touch with one of our Landlord & Tenant solicitors here.

    How do I evict my tenant?

    If the tenancy in question is under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), you can evict your tenant at the end of their fixed term with a Section 21 notice using form 6A.

    If you wish to evict your tenant during the course of the fixed term, you will have to use a Section 8 notice and rely upon one of the grounds set out in the Housing Act 1988. We can advise you of which form to use and why upon enquiry.

    How much notice do you need to give for evicting a tenant?

    You must give the tenant a minimum of 2 months’ notice when using a Section 21 notice.

    When using a Section 8 notice, the notice period that you must give the tenant varies depending on the reason you are looking to evict them, however for rent arrears, it is only 14 days, and therefore a much shorter notice period than a Section 21 notice.

    Please note that notice periods are currently different under The Coronavirus Act. For the latest guidance, please get in touch with one of our Landlord & Tenant solicitors here.

    Is an EICR a legal requirement?

    Yes, from April 1st 2021 EICR checks will be mandatory and legally enforceable for all tenancies. Landlords are required to ensure that an electrical  installation condition report has been completed for all their properties, failure to do so could result in fines up to £30,000.

    These fines will be given out by the local authority, who also have the power to; with permission of the tenant, carry out any emergency work on the property if need be. The costs of any work completed by the authority will fall to the landlord.

    To find out more about electrical safety checks, read the full article here.

    Can I evict a tenant myself?

    You can evict your tenant yourself, however eviction notices are complex documents and any mistake in drafting them can derail any potential claim in Court to recover possession of your property.

    Furthermore, you can be barred from relying upon using a notice if certain prescribed information was not provided to the tenant during the tenancy. We therefore recommend that you speak to a solicitor if you are thinking of evicting a tenant for independent legal advice.

    You can read about common mistakes landlords make with Form 6a Section 21 notices in Kerry Hunter’s article, here.

    What is the difference between a Section 21 notice and a Section 8 notice?

    A Section 21 notice is a ‘no fault’ notice, and therefore you do not need to give a reason as to why you want the tenant to leave, or why you want to recover possession of the property.

    This is the most commonly used notice and has a required form (Form 6a). This can be used at the end of the fixed term in an AST, or during the rolling period in a Periodic Tenancy.

    A Section 8 notice can be used whether or not the fixed term of the tenancy agreement has expired, and you wish to recover possession of the property. This is commonly used where the tenant is in rent arrears, or has demonstrated anti-social behaviour at the property.

    How much does it cost to evict a tenant?

    Irrespective of the type of notice that you have used, if the tenant does not vacate by the time the notice expires, you will need to issue possession proceedings with Court to get an Order that the tenant must leave. This incurs a Court fee of £355.00.

    How long does it take to evict someone?

    The timescale for evicting a tenant varies depending upon which notice is used, however the full process usually takes a few months. Frettens can draft the eviction notice for you, apply to Court for a possession Order and represent you at Court if appropriate to take the stress and hassle out of the situation. We can provide you with a cost estimate before you proceed.